A healthy Japanese-style chicken noodle salad packed with nutrients and perfect for a quick and easy meal. The matcha dressing is an adaptation of the classic Japanese Wafu dressing with incredible umami flavour.
JING Organic Matcha Ceremonial Grade
A pure expression of the single cultivar ‘Okumidori’, grown at high altitude in mineral rich soils in Kagoshima, Japan. With unmistakable umami-rich taste, our Organic Matcha is an invigorating and vibrant addition to sweet and savoury recipes that are fun and easy to make at home.
Chicken Noodle Salad With Matcha Dressing
For the salad:
– 270g dried black or soba rice noodles
– 500g green vegetables, such as broccoli florets, green beans and sugar snaps
– 150g edamame or shelled broad beans
– 4 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
– 1 teaspoon soy sauce
– 1 teaspoon clear honey
– 250g cooked chicken breast fillet, sliced or shredded
– 2 large carrots , grated
– 1 avocado, peeled, stoned and sliced
– handful salad leaves
– 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
For the matcha dressing:
– 3 teaspoons JING Organic Matcha Ceremonial Grade
– 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
– 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
– 2 teaspoons sesame oil
– 2 tablespoons caster sugar
– 2 teaspoons freshly grated root ginger
– 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Plunge the noodles into a large saucepan of boiling water and cook according to the packet instructions until al dente. Drain the noodles and
immediately refresh under cold water. Set aside.
- Blanch the vegetables in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 2-3 minutes until al dente. Drain, refresh under cold water, drain again and dry well.
- Place the pumpkin seeds in a small frying pan and place on a medium heat and stir for 3-4 minutes until the seeds are lightly golden and start to ‘pop’.
- Add the honey and stir well, then add the soy sauce. Stir until evaporated.
- Tip the seeds onto baking paper and allow to cool. Carefully separate the cooled seeds.
- To make the dressing, place all the ingredients in a screw top jar with 2 tablespoons of cold water and shake well until completely combined.
- Divide the sliced chicken, noodles, blanched vegetables, shredded carrots, edamame, avocado and salad leaves between large bowls and top each one with the pumpkin seeds and black sesame seeds. Pour the matcha sesame dressing over the top and serve at once.
Recipe by Louise Pickford: Food writer & cook book author