Junior Buyer (Tea & Teaware)
Role: Junior Buyer (Tea & Teaware)
Reports to: Head of Tea
Direct reports: None
Location: London / Hybrid
Role Type: Full Time
About the Company
JING is the tea of choice among global connoisseurs, tastemakers, and hospitality leaders. Crafted in single origins by master producers, our teas represent the very best in the world of tea.
Dedicated to delivering unforgettable tea-drinking experiences whilst enabling tea producers and their environments to thrive, JING has seen solid growth since its founding in 2004. We are proud to be listed in many of the best 5-star hotels and to be served by some of the world’s greatest chefs, as well as direct to consumers via our owned e-commerce channel.
Our teas and infusions exemplify the finest expressions of authenticity, outstanding skill, and exceptional taste. With our expert guidance and tools, we empower tea drinkers to get more from their experience of tea.
As a hybrid model, we spend most of the week collaborating in our offices in central London or meeting our customers. We reserve time each week to work on projects at home too. We are supported by our founder and investors, who have exceptional and long-standing experience working in the industry. We are always looking for innovative thinkers and doers to join our team on our exciting mission to revolutionise the world of tea. Together, we can improve the outlook for tea producers and their environments as well as the experience for tea lovers.
We value courage, ownership, innovation, and efficiency and are passionate about delivering great results and fostering a culture of learning. We want our teams to have the freedom to make impactful, long-term decisions. Above all, the well-being of our team and the people around us is a top priority.
The Junior Tea Buyer reports into our Head of Tea, a highly regarded industry expert with over 15 years of experience raising the bar on sourcing exceptional teas, NPD and teaware. The Junior Tea Buyer will work closely with the Head of Tea to ensure JING continues to procure the very best teas and teaware for the JING range. Supporting the work of the Sustainability Manager to ensure our ESG targets are industry leading. Liaising with marketing to ensure all technical product information is correct on all customer facing content as well as working closely with the demand and supply planning team to ensure seasonal product delivery.
Buying (tea, teaware, and packaging)
- Source and procure a portfolio of JING’s tea, teaware and packaging products that deliver fulfilling tea experiences for consumers and trade customers in line with our sustainability strategy
Quality & Technical
- On-going adherence to JING quality, food safety and brand purpose requirements
- Compliance and labelling technical signoff
- Assist with implementation of JING’s responsible sourcing standards where required
- Monthly reporting of quality issues across JING’s products, with successful management and resolution (working with Head of Tea)
- Manage procurement performance (COGS, OTIF, stock days) with Supply Planner
- Maintain up-to-date product specification and data
- Project manage innovation workstreams with Head of Tea and Sustainability Manager
- Portfolio reviews (Performance and trends) to deliver an optimized innovation funnel
- Own new product technical approvals
- Laisse with marketing to ensure all technical product information is conveyed appropriately on all customer facing content
- Act as internal product expert for your product stream
- Brand ambassador internally and externally and participate in training for these groups
Experience & Competencies Required
- At least three years’ experience in buying high-quality food and associated packaging
- Tasting skills with specialty tea or related product experience
- Excellent Excel skills
- Project management experience an advantage
- Asian language skills an advantage
- Some international travel required
What You Can Expect From JING
Aside from ensuring an industry-benchmark compensation package, including companywide annual bonus scheme, and providing you with any training you need, we consult annually with our team to ensure our list of benefits is focused on things that matter to our team members most.
- Hybrid & Flexible Working: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays in our core days in the Central London (Victoria) office. We work a 35-hour week, with core hours from 9.00 – 16.00 and ask people not to book meetings after 16.00, so everyone is able to leave on time. Mondays and Fridays can be worked from home.
- Paid time-off: on top of any national / bank holidays, you get 26 days off (25 plus your birthday).
- Private Healthcare and Health Cash Plan: Flexible options to choose what fits.
- Health and Wellbeing: Employee Assistance Programme, Cycle to Work Scheme, Unlimited tea, high quality coffee, breakfast provided in the office, plus fruit and snacks.
- Allocated Learning and Development Budget: together with plenty of learning and development opportunities.
- Auto-Enrolment Pension Scheme: Generous employer contribution and offering flexibility to top your pension up and choose salary exchange.
- Community: 2 days of paid leave per year available for volunteering or charitable work.
- Long Service Recognition: Extra days of paid leave awarded to employees on hitting 3, 5, and 10-year milestones.
- Employee Discount and friends and family discount on jingtea.com, and access to a rewards hub.
JING is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and to avoiding unlawful discrimination in employment and against customers, visitors, and clients. We believe we will only be successful if we have a genuinely diverse team where everyone feels comfortable. We encourage candidates from any underrepresented backgrounds to apply. We don’t discriminate based on age, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy/ maternity, race (which includes colour, nationality and ethnic or national origins or caste), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status. Please let us know any accessibility requirements you might have for any interviews, and we will do our best to accommodate.
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter to [email protected]